Greetings

Welcome to some rumblings about riding in the upstate of South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Friday 06/12/20 Ride

Fellow Riders,

  • The weather definitely deteriorated last week, but three of us managed to get a ride in Friday.  I did not take the route I had planned based on the wet forecast.  I thought I would take the route this coming Friday and hope the weather cooperates.  I'll head toward Rosman, NC, and return via Hwy's 64 and 281/130.  The ride will be over two hours, so well make a pit stop around half way.  If a non-breakfast/lunch ride appeals to you, we'll leave the Key Mart parking area at 9 am.  Hope to see you there.   Steve
Here's hoping for a sunny Friday!
  • Well, the weather did cooperate and there were 11 of us that came out for a ride.  Those joining me were Dan, Len, Russ, Gary, Terry, Steve G., Neil, David D., and new rider W. Steve D., and his friend Dan (welcome to the group!).  The skies were blue and the humidity was low and it made for a very comfortable ride. We took some back roads to get to Hyw 178, and then headed up Sassafras Mountain.  As you'd expect, it kept getting a little cooler as we moved to higher elevation.  We took some scenic routes east of Rosman, following along the French Broad River, as we approached our pit stop at Korner Mart.  After a brief respite, we made our way west and south toward home.  Overall, it was another great day on two wheels, especially since I found a road Len had not been on.   Steve  
Section of French Broad River


Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Friday 06/05/2020 Ride

Fellow Riders,
  • The Friday forecast looks pretty good for a ride.  I plan to ride up near Rosman, NC, and return via Hwy's 64, and 281/130.  The ride will be over 2 hours, so we'll make a pit stop around half-way.  If a non-breakfast/lunch ride appeals to you, we'll leave the Key Mart parking area at 9 am.  Hope to see you there.    Steve
  • You can never trust a forecast.  A final check of the weather Thursday evening looked fine.  However, at 7 am Friday morning, things didn't look so good.  I was hoping the oncoming rains would dissipate over the mountains, so I did not cancel.  Turns out Neil and Terry were optimistic like me. We logged about 60 miles under some menacing skies, but after an hour and a half, we were still dry.  It actually got quite nice later in the afternoon, although it was hot and humid.  Glad we stuck it out and had another great day on two wheels.   Steve


Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Friday 05/29/2020 Ride

Fellow Riders,

  • Hi gang, Steve is not available this week and Friday looks a little iffy.  However, if it is clear, I was thinking of doing a Highlands Loop. (Roughly 130 -107 - 74 or, Whiteside Cover Road returning 28 to Seneca). If anyone is interested we can maybe grab lunch at the Lighthouse or Cabana for outside dining.  If interested let's plan to meet at 10:00 at KeyMart.  BTW - If weather is not cooperative, I may change route, time or even cancel.  Look for an email update.   Gary
  • Friday Update - Hey gang, sorry for the late update, but with 30 - 40% chance this morning going up to 80% at 1:00, and the fact it is drizzling at my house right now, I am going to NOT ride this morning.  Which means it will clear up and be sunny.  If you decide to go out anyway, have fun and be safe.  Just to be clear, I am NOT planning to lead the ride today.  Sorry hopefully next week.   Gary

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Friday 05/22/2020 Ride

Fellow Riders,

  • It seems to me we've had plenty of rain already this week, yet even Friday is looking questionable.  I think I'll wait another day before deciding to plan a ride for Friday.  Look for another email Thursday evening if you're interested in trying to get a ride in on Friday.   Steve
  • Thursday Update - There is too much of a chance for rain, so I'm not going to plan a ride for Friday.  Not planning for a ride will likely ensure that it will not rain, but I'm sure we'll have more sunny Fridays in our future.   Steve
  • PS, it did turn out to be a very good day to ride.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Friday 05/15/2020 Ride

Fellow Riders,

  • It looks like we're finally getting temperatures closer to normal for this time of year.  I plan on taking a ride this Friday, leaving from the Key Mart parking area at 10 am.  This will be a ride only without stopping for lunch and it should last a couple of hours.  I think I'll wait a few more weeks to see how the new guidelines play our for restaurants before planing a stop for lunch.  With restaurants directed to utilize only half their capacity, it may be difficult for our sometimes large group to get seating.  Fell free to let me know your thoughts/suggestions regarding stopping for lunch or breakfast.  If a Friday ride sounds good to your, I'll see you in the Key Mart parking area for a 10 am, departure.  Hope to see you there.    Steve 
A lot of folks are ready to ride!!
  • We had a great turnout for a ride that took us through Clayton, GA.  Based on a welcome suggestion, we did take a break in Clayton so everyone could make a pit stop, or get some water.  I stopped at the Wendy's, but they would not let customers in, so some riders took advantage of the gas station next door.  Jeff and his wife, along with Neil, decided to stay in Clayton for some outdoor dining at Rumor Hazit. (when I said the name of the restaurant, Jeffs' wife at first thought I was making a joke, and then realized it was the actual name of the restaurant - ha)  Len needed more saddle time, so headed for a route that took him through Highlands.  The rest of us, including Charley and his friend Lou (up from Florida), Gary, and a few more, took a ride on War Woman and back down the mountain toward home.  Overall, it was another great day on two wheels.   Steve