Greetings

Welcome to some rumblings about riding in the upstate of South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Friday 6/19/15 Ride

Fellow Riders,

  • It looks like Dan will be burning up the golf course and not the roads this Friday, but I still want to ride.  Based on the heat and potential for afternoon rain, I think I'll head out from Key Mart at 8:30, Friday morning.  I was thinking of heading up to the Highlands area for some breakfast.  Maybe I'll see you in the parking lot tomorrow.   Steve
You just have to find the right prescription !!!!

  • Six riders, including me, decided an early morning ride was a good choice today.  Joining me were Lesley, Gadget, Jim (wing), Pat, and Bob.  I led the group today, but unlike Dan, I guess I left before everyone was ready.  In the words of Rick Perry, "oops!"  Lacking the deep knowledge of the many Oconee back roads, I took familiar roads over to Hwy 28 so we could make our way to Highlands.  The temps were great on the way up the mountain as we zigged and zagged through the curves.  I was looking for The Sports Page Sandwich Shoppe and their big blue awning.  However, as you can see in the photo below, there is no awning at this time.  This caused me to make an embarrassing turn around, but oh well.  The breakfast was good and so was the service.  It was not crowded, but you could tell a lot of locals frequented the place.  For the ride back we opted to head toward Cashiers and head down the mountain.  Some of us made the left onto Wigington, while others continued on toward Walhalla.  We were turned back when we got to Hwy130 due to a big accident south of the intersection that involved some heavy equipment, according to a worker blocking traffic.  Hope no one was hurt, but he said there were all kinds of vehicles at the scene.  By the time we got back to Walhalla, the temps and humidity were on the rise.  Also, as I write this, the rain is starting to fall.  Fortunately, an early departure made this another great day on two wheels.   Steve
Website version of how the place looks...
Actual photo of how it looked today...  I can see how I missed it.

No comments: